[Pacemaker] Clustered LVM in failover cluster

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.com
Mon Sep 10 04:44:52 EDT 2012

On 2012-09-10T11:06:15, David Morton <davidmorton78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not directly Pacemaker related but a simple question for those who manage
> clusters ...
>
> I'm recreating our failover cluster on a new SAN which will use cLVM and
> XFS, I am after some clarification that the "--clustered y" directive is
> the correct and appropriate way to create the volume groups as the LVM
> layout will be visible to both cluster nodes at all times regardless of the
> filesystem mount state ?
>
> I'll then create LVM resources in Pacemaker to control the activation of
> the volume groups prior to filesystem mounting.

If you're using an LVM resource to activate/deactivate the VG in a
fail-over setting, there is no need to use a clustered volume group.

You gain some protection against admin mistakes by not exposing the VG,
and if you do not need concurrent access to the VG, you can skip using
the DLM/cLVM2, which reduces complexity.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA