[Pacemaker] RFC: Any interesting in 2.0.0 betas?

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu Oct 25 21:06:34 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov
<bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
> 25.10.2012 07:50, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov
>> <bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure.

>>> Git tag would be enough for me.
>>
>> "HEAD" ? :-)
>
> Yeah, it is usually enough too, but it is better to know that you
> consider some revision to be "stable enough" or at least "not broken
> very much" so it is tagged. :)

The way David and I work these days, is that things stay in our
private trees until they are fully baked.
Ie. we never intentionally push brokenness into 'master'.

So HEAD should be quite usable at any point.

But I can also do some tags.

> One issue we discussed earlier - node names in CIB. I saw you did the
> move from uname to a consistent resolving after 1.1.8 I currently
> evaluating (with my patch I sent earlier), But, I did not see any code
> for node name post-processing in case of DNS with FQDN names. So, in
> case on DNS-only setup (without /etc/hosts) node names will contain what
> reverse DNS lookup returns.

Ah, right, that.

> What I would expect to be "right" is to have DNS _domain_ name (what
> dnsdomainname returns, actually everything after the first dot) stripped
> from them. On the other hand, I saw setups where node names were made
> FQDN intentionally to differentiate between clusters in crm_mon output.
> Although IMHO it could be convenient for two-node clusters, in case of
> 8-16 nodes that output becomes a mess. Actually in my clusters I have
> FQDNs longer than 35 characters, with host names of 4-5 chars. And I
> feel much better when I do not need to parse two or three lines of text
> by eyes just to determine on which node do I have a problem.
>
> So, I think it would be nice to have a way to affect how cluster node
> name is constructed in case of DNS-resolved names without need to patch
> code. F.e. "leave as is", "strip after Nth dot", "strip what is in
> 'domain' clause in /etc/resolv.conf", "strip what is in Nth part of
> 'search' clause in /etc/resolv.conf", "strip what is in
> 'totem.cluster_name' corosync parameter", etc. Sure, that should be
> consistent over the whole cluster, but that is another story.

Some stripping is fine, but I don't want to overthink it.
What about:

PCMK_strip_name=N

N=0 (default), leave untouched
N=1, drop everything after the first dot
N=2, drop everything after the second dot

I'd rather avoid trying to parse /etc/resolv.conf