[Pacemaker] setup of a cluster - principal questions

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.com
Wed Oct 24 15:43:11 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-24T11:47:40, "Lentes, Bernd" <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'd like to establish a HA Cluster with two nodes. I will use SLES 11
> SP2 + HAE.  I have a shared storage, it's a FC SAN. My services will
> run in vm's, one vm for one service. The vm's will run using KVM.

Perfectly fine.

> First i thought to install the VM's in plain partitions, without any filesystem. I read that this will be faster.
> But i tried installing two vm's, each one in a raw file, and this is fast enough for me.
> On the shared storage i will create OCFS as filesystem.
>
> Now my questions:
> - is live migration possible with this setup ?

Yes, very much. Quite common setup.

> - is it possible to run some vm's one node 1 and some others on node 2 ? As a kind of load balancing ?

Yes. Check out the utilization-based setup, this is covered in the
documentation.

> - what do you think about my setup ?

All fine. If you have an FC SAN, check out SBD as the fencing mechanism.
(If you have all updates applied, "man sbd" is the best guide, I hope.
But it is also explained, even if in a slightly earlier version, in the
product documentation as well.)

Regards,
    Lars

--