[Pacemaker] chicken-egg-problem with libvirtd and a VM within cluster

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu Oct 11 21:18:40 EDT 2012

This has been a topic that has popped up occasionally over the years.
Unfortunately we still don't have a good answer for you.

The "least worst" practice has been to have the RA return OCF_STOPPED
for non-recurring monitor operations (aka. startup probes) IFF its
pre-requistites (ie. binaries, or things that might be on a cluster
file system) are not available.

Possibly we need to begin using the ordering constraints (normally
used for ordering start operations) for the startup probes too.
Ie. order(A, B) ==> A.start before B.(monitor_0, start)

I had been resisting that move, but perhaps its time.

(It would also help avoid slamming the cluster with a bazillion
operations in parallel when several nodes start up together)

Lars? Florian? Comments?