[Pacemaker] STONIH device and two-active DRBDs with GFS2

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Oct 10 20:31:54 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Tero Mäntyvaara <termant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read the tutorial you provide on your web site but I am
> struggling with the node level STONITH device which I currently do not
> have.
>
> I was wondering if I set two-active DRBD and because - by your
> tutorial in chapter 8.2.3 - CMAN is being used as fencing device too,

This isn't the case.  The purpose of fence_pcmk is to redirect CMAN's
fencing requests to Pacemaker (which hopefully has some real fencing
devices configured).

> is STONITH device necessary any more.

Yes.

> But if STONITH device is necessary any way, what would be  a) the
> cheapest solution for node level fencing and b) the best solution for
> resource level fencing? Is resource level fencing possible without
> external or separate HW? How do I set resource fencing for STONITH? Is
> node level fencing possible with the cross-over serial connection
> between nodes? How about IP over USB with USB hub or Linux compatible
> USB link cable between nodes?

Re: "IP over USB" etc, those all require the co-operation of the
target node... and so are not very useful since the node is already
misbehaving, otherwise we wouldn't be trying to fence it.