[Pacemaker] Fencing of KVM virtual machines

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] r.bhatia at ipax.at
Tue Oct 2 11:26:05 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-02 07:56, Masopust, Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've running several pacemaker clusters in KVM virtual machines
> (everything based on
> Debian 6) and now it's up to configure fencing...
> I've found that I have to use "fence-virt" for that task
> (http://www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/Guest_Fencing)
> but it seems that it only will work in case my VMs are on a single host
> system.
> Is anybody of you using fence-virt when the VMs are on different hosts?
> And can anybody explain how to compile and install fence-virt on a
> Debian 6 system?
> Thanks a lot!

We use:

 > primitive stonith-virtNodeY stonith:external/libvirt \
 >       meta failure-timeout="1min" \
 >       op monitor interval="60" \
 >       params hostlist="virtNodeY"
hypervisor_uri="qemu://xxx.ipax.in/system"

You might need some ssh keys installed to allow passwordless
login, but i don't know for certain anymore.
Maybe, it directly talks to the hypervisor via a dedicated port.

Cheers,
Raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OG          web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office at ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15