[Pacemaker] Providing high availability for multiple applications.

Guillaume Belrose kafecho at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 03:34:49 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been investigating Pacemaker/Corosync for providing high availability for a wide range of applications. I found this combination to be very useful. Some of my applications require a fail-over cluster while others require load-balanced cluster.

I am wondering what are the best practices when managing the clusters for those applications.

Currently, each application runs in a separate/dedicated cluster. I essentially have different corosync configurations, one per cluster.

I am wondering if it is not better to setup 1 large Pacemaker cluster which is partitioned in such a way that certain resources are dedicated to a certain application (using node attribute expressions like in http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.0/html/Pacemaker_Explained/ch-rules.html#s-expression-attribute).

There would only be 1 Corosync configuration, and the cluster is partitioned using some naming convention. It seems to me that this would simplify management.

I wonder what people think about this approach.

Many thanks in advance.

Guillaume.