[Pacemaker] Behavior of Corosync+Pacemaker with DRBD primary power loss

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Fri Oct 19 11:45:04 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have a 3 node Pacemaker + Corosync cluster with 2 "real" nodes, node0 and node1, running a DRBD resource (single-primary) and the 3rd node in standby acting as a quorum node. If node0 were running the DRBD resource, and thus is DRBD primary, and its power supply fails, will the DRBD resource be promoted to primary on node1?

If I simply cut the DRBD replication link, node1 reports the following state:
Role:
Secondary/Unknown

Disk State:
UpToDate/DUnknown

Connection State:
WFConnection

I cannot manually promote the DRBD resource because the peer is not outdated:
0: State change failed: (-7) Refusing to be Primary while peer is not outdated
Command 'drbdsetup 0 primary' terminated with exit code 11

I have configured the CIB-based crm-fence-peer.sh utility in my drbd.conf
fence-peer "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-fence-peer.sh";
but I do not believe it would be applicable in this scenario.

If node0 goes offline like this and doesn't come back (e.g. after a STONITH), does Pacemaker have a way to tell node1 that its peer is outdated and to proceed with promoting the resource to primary?

Thanks,

Andrew