[Pacemaker] Help understanding multi-state scores

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Jun 20 22:24:46 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 7:01 AM, aldo sarmiento <sarmiena at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how a multi-state (conntrackd) configuration w/
> colocation (IPaddr2) gets scored.
>
> The configuration: http://pastie.org/private/cwto8b0v3ep5e6d6crmgfa
>
> The scoring: http://pastie.org/private/mlfv8txukj0na7zsejgyna
>
> The thing I am kind of confused about are:
>
> What is clone_color
> What is native_color

These are two functions that deal with resource allocation.
They display the preference a resource has for a given node at
different stages of the node allocation process.

> How do they apply to lines 7-16 (in
> pastie: http://pastie.org/private/mlfv8txukj0na7zsejgyna)
> Line 15 has a score of -INFINITY. Why and where did this come from?

At the point clone_color runs, none of the resources in that clone
have been allocated yet.

clone_color: ms-conntrackd allocation score on fw01: 10000
clone_color: ms-conntrackd allocation score on fw02: 5000

Lines 7-8 (above archival purposes) are the the scores for the clone
container.  They don't really matter but can be a useful sanity check
as they'll be the simple sum of any location constraint scores.

clone_color: updated-conntrackd:0 allocation score on fw01: 11001
clone_color: updated-conntrackd:0 allocation score on fw02: 5000
clone_color: updated-conntrackd:1 allocation score on fw01: 10000
clone_color: updated-conntrackd:1 allocation score on fw02: 5101

Lines 9-12 (above) are the scores for the primitive resources that the
clone is made up of.
These scores also include stickiness where appropriate and any scores
inherited via colocation.

native_color: updated-conntrackd:0 allocation score on fw01: 11001
native_color: updated-conntrackd:0 allocation score on fw02: 5000

Lines 13-14 (above) are the same as their equivalents (9-10) because
no other members have been allocated yet.

native_color: updated-conntrackd:1 allocation score on fw01: -INFINITY
native_color: updated-conntrackd:1 allocation score on fw02: 5101

The difference between native_color and clone_color are best
demonstrated by lines 15-16 (above).
By the time these lines are shown, the :0 instance of the clone has
been allocated and this is reflected in the scores.
Whereas line 11 showed a score of 10000 for fw01, we now show
-INFINITY because another member of the clone ( :0 ) is active there -
and since clone-node-max="1", we must choose another location for the
:1 instance.

updated-conntrackd:0 promotion score on fw01: 11000
updated-conntrackd:1 promotion score on fw02: 5100

And finally, since the clone is also a multi-state resource, we have
the promotion scores which indicate that we'll promote
updated-conntrackd:0 on fw01.

Does that help?