[Pacemaker] 2-node clusters, who's the master now.

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Thu Jun 7 08:04:33 EDT 2012

If you are running two nodes, you need to tell pacemaker you don't care
if it can't get quorum, by only having 1 of 2 nodes available. Neither
node which take over in this event know if there is split brain or not,
so you will need to make sure you have sufficient infrastructure between
the two to ensure you don't have a split brain due to a single issue
(e.g. switch, cable, port).

The simplest solution is to add a third node to the cluster, so you
hopefully end up with at least two nodes available during an issue to
retain quorum. If your network dies, then you're going to still have 3
nodes that won't run any resources, but at that point you have different
problems.

I've many two node pacemaker clusters with no-quorum-policy set to
ignore, and it works fine. We have multiple interfaces for the systems
to communicate on, which talk via diverse switch environments. It is a
known and accepted risk that if the entire network fails we will have
split brain, but depending on your workload (e.g. haproxy in this case),
split brain probably doesn't matter too much.