[Pacemaker] Announce: pcs / pcs-gui (Pacemaker/Corosync Configuration System)

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Jun 5 03:25:07 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at suse.com> wrote:
> I am getting a slightly defensive-to-aggressive vibe from your response
> to Florian. Can we tune that down? I much prefer to do the shouting at
> each other in person, because then the gestures come across much more
> vividly and the food is better. Thank you ;-)

In that case I suggest you come to Canberra for next year's
linux.conf.au, where the opportunity is likely to present itself. :)

>> Open source has a long and glorious history of people saying "I'm
>> going to try and do it this way" and Chris has every right to try
>> something different.
>> Personally I'm hoping a little friendly competition will result in
>> both projects finding new ways to improve usability.
>
> Of course. Still, people will ask "which one should I choose", and we
> need to be able to answer that.

And if the answer to that were "whatever your distro recommends", and
everyone upstream would hence be leaving that decision to product
managers or distro subsystem maintainers, then people should know
about that too. I will add that I'd find that undesirable; we've been
down that road before.

> And as a community, yes, I think we also should think about the cost of
> choice to users - as well as the benefits.
>
> Even developers will ask questions like "I want to do <X>; where do I
> contribute that?"
>
> I like things that make it easier for users to use our stuff, and still
> I need to understand how to advise them what to do when, and how the
> various toys in the playground relate ;-)

I'd like to add that documentation in the vein of "First do A. Then if
you're on X do B, on Y do C and on Z do E. Then do F, unless you're on
X, in which case you skip straight to G" just doesn't work.

Cheers,
Florian