[Pacemaker] If you want High Availability on OpenStack, check out Heat! (details inside)

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 14:34:10 EDT 2012

As some may know, Angus and I were working previously on a project
called pacemaker-cloud, with the intention of adding high availbility to
guests in cloud environments.  We stopped developing that project in
March 2012 and took our experiences to a new project called Heat.  For
more details of why that decision was made, have a look at:

http://sdake.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/the-heat-api-a-template-based-orchestration-framework/

We have just released Heat API (v4) which has a really nice HA feature
for users moving work to OpenStack cloud environments.  Heat API uses
templates that describe a cloud application.  Our goal is to provide
parity with Amazon's AWS CloudFormation API and template specification
and we are closing in.

Heat's High Availability feature set will restart failed applications
and escalate repeated failures by restarting the entire VM.  All of this
is defined in one template file with the rest of the application
definition, and can be launched via our AWS CloudFormation API
implementation.

Heat does a ton of great things, which is why I ask you to give it a
spin, especially if you are evaluating OpenStack.

Check out our docs here:
https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki

Especially the using HA guide:
https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Using-HA