[Pacemaker] OpenVPN in HA, sharing client connections

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jul 10 16:40:12 EDT 2012

This is what we did (spoiler: no pacemaker)

We connect the openvpn-hosts via tinc (could also be openvpn but tinc is
more flexible when servers both initiate the connection) and put these
tunnels into a bridge (with stp).
Then all these nodes have openvpn with server-certificates from the same
ca and all have the client-definitions in a ccd. You can't use the
dhcp-like mode of openvpn, so we decided to push the ip from the ccd.
You could also maybe forward the request to one (or two) real
dhcp-servers. These openvpn-tunnels also end in the bridges of the
tinc-network.
The config is kept in sync with csync2.

That way vpn is working even if only one of the currently three servers
is running. And there is no server-side downtime when one server fails,
only the time until the clients reconnect to a different server.

And it works with different servers in different datacenters and only
needs normal internet-connections, no dedicated links.

Yes, I consider non-interactive protocols that fail on connection-reset
to be broken. Interactive protocols (like ssh+screen, rdesktop, x2go)
all survive a reset because the user can re-instantiate the connection
and work on as before.

Arnold

--
Dieses Email wurde elektronisch erstellt und ist ohne handschriftliche
Unterschrift gültig.