[Pacemaker] Query regarding configuring STONITH device

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 2 09:34:12 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 05:49:38PM +0530, sachin garg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using IPMI plugin for configuring STONITH with heartbeat cluster.
> If a resource fails on one node then the other node STONITHs that node. But
> when the failed node comes back after the reboot, the STONITH device itself
> fails on the node which has started again. Logs indicate that IPMI start
> operation returned 1 (i.e. unknown error).

Isn't there more in the logs, i.e. a specific reason?

> I suspect that this may be due
> to some initialization delays at network level. But I am not sure about
> this. What could be the best way to overcome this issue? I consider adding
> a start delay to stonith device but can't say if that is the right
> approach.

Happens only once after boot? Afterwards works fine? Strange.
Well, it's arguably good practice not to start the cluster stack
automatically on boot.

> Moreover, how should one configure start/monitor operation failure for a
> STONITH device? I have currently configured pacemaker to fence the node if
> start/monitor operation fails for STONITH device. Is this the right
> configuration?

No. Nothing special needs to be configured.

> And what should be the monitoring frequency for STONITH device?

Take a look here http://clusterlabs.org/doc/crm_fencing.html

Thanks,

Dejan