[Pacemaker] Live migration question.

David Pendell lostogre at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:26:15 EDT 2012

I have two cluster nodes that have a gigabit network between them for doing
live migrations of running kvm VMs. If one of the two hosts go off line,
naturally all of the guests then get restarted on the other host. But when
the offline host then comes back online, all of the guests that were
restarted on the "online" host then try to do a live migration. Given that
I only have one gigabit link for doing the transfers, this creates a log
jam. The result is that the VMs that timeout then do a "move" or rather
shutdown VMs to restart them on the newly online node. For my Linux guests,
this is annoying, but with a Windows VM it is a disaster, locking a very
impatient dept out of their server for 3-4 minutes. ( One might think that
this is a miracle, given that before I set up the cluster a server reboot
would take ten minutes. Sigh. )

I would like to make the migrations sequential so that the Windows VM can
migrate first, and then the next most important Linux VMs, etc. Is there
any way to do this?

Beekhof suggested that there were several alternatives and that the mailing
list would be the best place to ask.

lostogre