[Pacemaker] why does pacemaker migrate a vm by stopping and starting instead of migrating action?

bin chen free2coder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:15:05 EST 2012

> Hi Cherish,
>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM, bin chen <free2coder at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,all
>>         My cluster is pacemaker 1.1.7 + corosync 2.0. I have write a
>> resource agent to manage the virtual machine.The RA supports
>> start,stop,migrate_from,migrate_to,monitor.
>>         But when I try to migrate a running cluster vm(resource name is
>> dcbh6f1c-GtNhnB-8597) from the host(h66)  to a target host (h65),the
>> cluster just stops it in host A,and then start it in host B.
>>

> Can we safely assume that you are certain you have live migration working
> without the cluster involved?  E.g. you can do an 'xm migrate' or 'virsh
> migrate', whatever you're using to manage your VMs?
>
> Have you set "allow-migrate=true" for the VM resource?  This snip is
> showing the Xen RA, but the VirtualDomain RA has the same option, I
believe:

> ---- 8< ----
> primitive www3 ocf:heartbeat:Xen \
> params xmfile="/etc/xen/www3" \
> meta allow-migrate="true" target-role="Started" is-managed="true" \
> ---- 8< ----
>
> If you already have that set, then your cluster configuration would be
> good to see.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks very much! I have  solved my problem by setting "allow-migrate=true"
for my VM resource.and I find something for migration in
pacemaker-explained:
9.3.4.1. Migration Checklist
• The resource may not be a clone.
• The resource must use an OCF style agent.
• The resource must not be in a failed or degraded state.
• The resource must not, directly or indirectly, depend on any primitive or
group resources.
• The resources must support two new actions: migrate_to and migrate_from
and advertise them in its
metadata.
-->The resource must have the allow-migrate meta-attribute set to true (not
the default).

I am so careless :).Thanks for your help.