No subject

Sun Aug 12 09:32:27 EDT 2012

> Aug 22 10:40:38 node1 attrd_updater: [1860]: info: Invoked: attrd_updater=
 -n p_ping -v 1000 -d 5s
> Aug 22 10:40:43 node1 attrd: [4402]: notice: attrd_trigger_update: Sendin=
g flush op to all hosts for: p_ping (1000)
> Aug 22 10:40:44 node1 attrd: [4402]: notice: attrd_perform_update: Sent u=
pdate 265: p_ping=3D1000

> Aug 22 10:40:45 node2 attrd_updater: [27245]: info: Invoked: attrd_update=
r -n p_ping -v 1000 -d 5s
> Aug 22 10:40:50 node2 attrd: [4069]: notice: attrd_trigger_update: Sendin=
g flush op to all hosts for: p_ping (1000)
> Aug 22 10:40:50 node2 attrd: [4069]: notice: attrd_perform_update: Sent u=
pdate 122: p_ping=3D1000

> I had changed the attempts value to 8 (from the default 2) to address thi=
s same issue - to avoid resource migration based on brief connectivity prob=
lems with these IPs - however if we can get dampen configured correctly I'l=
l set it back to the default.

> Thanks,
>

> Andrew

 I think what you say above is correct but not only does the IP need to com=
e back online but the cluster must attempt to ping it successfully also. I =
would suggest trying dampen with greater than 3*monitor value.

> I don't think it's a problem but why change the attempts from the default=
 2 to 8?

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Andrew

000, waited the 5 seconds of dampening and then started actions to move the=
 resources. In the midst of stopping everything ping ran again successfully=
 and the value increase back to 2000. This caused the policy engine to reca=
lculate scores for all resources (before they had the chance to start on no=
de2). I'm no scoring expert but I know there is additional value given to k=
eep resources that are collocated together with their partners that are alr=
eady running and resource stickiness to not move. So in this situation the =
score to stay/run on node1 once pingd was back at 2000 was greater that the=
 score to move so things that were stopped or stopping restarted on node1. =
So increasing the dampen value should help/fix.

> Unfortunately you didn't include the log from node2 so we can't correlate=
 what node2's pingd values are at the same times as node1. I believe if you=
 look at the pingd values and times that movement is started between the no=
des you will be able to make a better guess at how high a dampen value woul=
d make sure the nodes had the same pingd value *before* the dampen time ran=
 out and that should prevent movement.