[Pacemaker] 2 node cluster questions

Hellemans Dirk D Dirk.Hellemans at hpcds.com
Wed Nov 30 09:05:42 EST 2011

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help! Indeed, you get at race condition... that’s why an external quorum daemon (such as the one supplied with HP’s ServiceGuard) would be nice. It looks like this is what Linux HA is heading for (http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/907043024/introducing-the-pacemaker-master-control-process-for, setup number 4) but it’s not there yet.

The only way to do it with SBD is to avoid auto startup of a cluster node (e.g. disable corosync and pacemaker init scripts) --> avoids fencing the other after being fenced. Or to use SBD on iSCSI storage... if you have no network connection, you cannot fence and sdb will make watchdog timeout --> the node which lost network connectivity is going to be reset. If network connectivity is still missing at reboot, it cannot fence the other... otherwise it’ll join the cluster. Any flaw here? That is +/- the same as with a quorum server... if it cannot reach the quorum server, the node can startup but should not fence the other (which has quorum).

Anyway, I must admit: a quorum server or 3rd node seems safer by design.

Rgds, Dirk