[Pacemaker] Physical setup - crossover cable recommended ?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Nov 1 17:36:16 EDT 2011

Hugo Deprez wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I would like to improve my configuration of my clusters.
>
> I am thinking of using a crossover cable between my two servers for :
>
> Corosync trafic,
> DRBD trafic,
>
> Is that the best practice ?
> By using a crossover cable I'll avoid any issue on the cluster when
> spanning tree change on my network.
> Until now all the trafic is using the same Lan. And I do have other
> stuff on this network.

Don't know if it's best practice, but it works.  That's how I was
running my cluster until this morning (just added two more servers, so I
had to replace a crossover cable with a gigE hub).

Of course it wasn't really a crossover cable - just a piece of Ethernet
cable - with autodetect, the DCE/DTE distinction no longer makes any
difference.

Critical thing is to make sure you get all your networking set up
correctly so that heartbeat goes over the new channel.