[Pacemaker] cluster.conf log facility setting discarded if pacemakerd running as a daemon

Patrick H. pacemaker at feystorm.net
Sun Nov 6 18:45:02 EST 2011

I'm using cman and have been trying to set the syslog facility for all
of the pacemaker processes (crmd, lrmd, etc) without much luck. So after
google searches failing me on how to configure the syslog facility for
pacemaker when launched from cman, I went digging through the source and
found my issue.
Basically it boils down to that if pacemakerd was started with -f, it
uses the setting from the cluster.conf, however if its started as a
daemon, it reads the setting, and then discards it.

 From skimming the source code (version 1.1.5), this is my understanding
of whats happening:
mcp/corosync.c:628 reads uses the cluster.conf syslog_facility and sets
the env var HA_logfacility
mcp/pacemaker.c:686 calls crm_log_init_quiet if running as a daemon
which unsets the env var HA_logfacility (lib/common/utils.c:684)
All the applications then look for HA_logfacility and when they dont
find it, they default to 'daemon'

Is this intended behavior, or a bug?