[Pacemaker] Corosync or Hearbeat or both ?

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] r.bhatia at ipax.at
Wed Mar 23 03:59:32 EDT 2011

On 23.03.2011 04:42, José Pablo Méndez Soto wrote:
> Hi, I am recently starting to poke around with Pacemaker. Can someone
> please explain what is the difference between Corosync and Heartbeat,
> when would you use one or when the other? And why would you have
> corosync installed accoring to this howto, if Heartbeat is to be the
> preferred method? (the reason besides being a dependency):

"heartbeat" was used for many different things, among them
* messaging layer (= cluster communication)
* resource agents (= resource management)
* policy engine (= which resource is started where)

since a couple of years, these specific tasks have been split
into different (sub-)projects (e.g. pacemaker), and heartbeat has been
"reduced" to be one messaging layer. corosync (formerly also known as
openais) is another one.

nowadays, most people seem to prefer corosync + pacemaker over
heartbeat "v1" (legacy) or heartbeat + pacemaker.

cheers,
raoul