[Pacemaker] Lots of Issues with Live Pacemaker Cluster

Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 10:27:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 17:35 +0100, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:57:27AM -0000, Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >

> > I built and put into production without adequate testing a 2 node
> > cluster running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Pacemaker and associated packages
> > from the Ubuntu-HA-maintainers repo
> > (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ha-maintainers/+archive/ppa).
>
> Not good to go live without sufficient testing. Testing is as
> important as anything else. Or even more important. If there
> isn't enough time for testing, then better to go without
> clustering.

I've very quickly realised this fact. Even if under pressure to put a
cluster live, don't give in until you're 100% happy with it. It WILL
bite you, and it won't be anyone else's fault but yours.

> > 2.       Crm shell won't load from a text file. When I use crm configure
> > < crm.txt, it will run through the file, complaining about the default
> > timeout being less than 240, but doesn't load anything. So I go into the
> > crm shell and set default-action-timeout to 240, commit and exit and do
> > the same. This time it just exits silently, without loading the config.
>
> Strange. I assume that you run version 1.0.x which I don't use
> very often, but I cannot recall seeing this problem.

I'm not sure if I need to put a commit at the end of the input file? I
always assumed it had an implicit commit. I'll test this next time I get
chance.

> > If I go into the crm shell and use load replace crm.txt it will work.

> load". Now, if there are errors/warnings in the configuration,
> what happens depends on check-* options for semantic checks.

I'll try that armed with this information next time.

> > 3.       Crm shell tab completes don't work unless you put an incorrect
> > entry in first. I'm sure this is a python readline problem, as it also
> > happens in SLE 11 HAE SP1 (but not in pre-SP1). I assume everyone
> > associated (Dejan?) is aware of the problem, but highlighting it just in
> > case.
>
> No, I'm not aware of it. Tab completion works here, though a bit
> differently from 1.0 due to lazy creation of the completion
> tables. You need to enter another level at least once before the
> tab completion is going to work for that level. For instance,
> it won't work in this case:
>
> crm(live)# resource <TAB><TAB>
>
> But it would once the user enters the resource level:
>
> crm(live)resource# <TAB><TAB>
> bye           failcount     move          restart	unmigrate
> cd            help          param         show          unmove
> cleanup       list          promote       start         up
> demote        manage        quit          status	utilization
> end           meta          refresh       stop
> exit          migrate       reprobe       unmanage
>
> Can you elaborate "put incorrect entry first"?

I think this is more down to my lack of understanding of how it's
changed then. I'm used to < 1.0 clusters and the crm shell would always
tab complete *almost* everything. IIRC only location score rules etc
wouldn't.

However, I think my confusion has arisen due to this behaviour:

crm(live)# resource mi<TAB><TAB>
nothing
crm(live)# resource mi<enter>
ERROR: syntax: mi
crm(live)# resource mi<TAB>
crm(live)# resource migrate

It will tab-complete the first and second level, if you've already
entered an incorrect parameter.

Regards,
Darren Mansell