[Pacemaker] Cluster Communication fails after VMWare Migration

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 12:54:03 EST 2011

On 02/25/2011 12:40 AM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM,  <u.schmeling at online.de> wrote:
>>
>> Have build a 2 node apache cluster on VMWare virtual machines, which was running as expected. We had to migrate the machines to another computing center and after that the cluster communication didn't work anymore. Migration of vmS causes a change of the networks mac address. Maybe that's the reason for my problem. After removing one node from the cluster and adding it again the communication worked. Because migrations between computing centers can happen at any time (mirrored esx infrastructure), I have to find out, if this breaks the cluster communication.
>
> Cluster communication issues are the domain of corosync/heartbeat -
> their mailing lists may be able to provide more information.
> We're just the poor consumer of their services :-)

poor consumer lol

Regarding migration, I doubt a mac address migration will work properly
with modern switches and igmp.  For that type of operation to work
properly, you will definately want to take multicast out of the equation
and instead use the udpu transport mode.

Keep in mind the corosync devs don't test the types of things you talk
about as we don't have proprietary software licenses.

Regards
-steve