[Pacemaker] Best stonith method to avoid split brain on a drbd cluster

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Wed Jan 5 19:18:36 EST 2011

Johannes Freygner <hannes at freygner.at> wrote:

> *) Yes, and I found the wrong setting:

Excellent.

> But if I pull the power cable without a regular shutting down,
> the powerless node gets status "UNCLEAN (offline)" and the
> resources remains stopped.

I would contend that would be correct behavior as (again assuming that
you have redundant power sources), the only way that should happen is
with multiple failures (against which HA in general does not protect).

But, it's *your* cluster :)

> I found and tested a workaround: I use as second fencing device "meatware"
[snip]

I would be wary of meatware; I believe that it's intended for testing only.
I tried using it in production on one site where the nodes of the HA cluster
were virtual machines under the free version of VMWare ESXi.  (That version
has the APIs disabled that would be required to do a proper stonith
mechanism.) I found that meatware was flakey at best.

As an aside, I will likely never again try to deploy HA nodes as ESXi
VMs unless the site is running the commercial version.

Devin
--
It is far, far better to have a bastard in the
family than an unemployed son-in-law.			- Robert Heinlein