[Pacemaker] Does bond0 network interface work with corosync/pacemaker

Andreas Hofmeister andi at collax.com
Wed Sep 29 15:01:23 EDT 2010

On 29.09.2010 19:59, Mike A Meyer wrote:
> We have two nodes that we have the IP address assigned to a bond0
> network interface instead of the usual eth0 network interface.  We are
> wondering if there are issues with trying to configure
> corosync/pacemaker with an IP assigned to a bond0 network interface.
>  We are seeing that corosync/pacemaker will start on both nodes, but
> it doesn't detect other nodes in the cluster.  We do have SELinux and
> the firewall shut off on both nodes.  Any information would be helpful.

We run the cluster stuff on bonding devices (actually on a VLan on top
of a bond)  and it works well. We use it in a two-node setup in
round-robin mode, the nodes are connected back-to-back (i.e. no Switch
in between).

If you use bonding over a Switch, check your bonding mode - round-robin
just won't work. Try LACP if you have connected each node to  a single
switch or if your Switches support link aggregation over multiple
Devices (the cheaper ones won't). Try "active-backup" with multiple
switches.

To check your configuration, use "ping" and check the "icmp_seq" in the
replies. If some sequence number is missing, your setup is probably broken.

Ciao
   Andi