[Pacemaker] VMWare Guest as Cluster Nodes - how to do stonith

Javen Wu wu.javen at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:48:39 EDT 2010

If you are talking about two guest OSes on different ESX hosts, I think
libvirt or any VIAPI variation for rebooting/poweroff the GuestOS is not a
reliable STONITH.

The reason is: STONITH is to avoid "split brain" which means network
partition. So it's very possible that network problem prevent the quorum
winner accessing the one which is suppose to be shot.
+ network problem cause vCenter cannot reach the target ESX, so VIAPI
against vCenter won't work for STONITH
+ network problem cause STONITH requestor cannot reach the target ESX host,
so it's very possible you have no chance to shoot the node by accessing
VIAPI.

So any VIAPI variation won't be a reliable STONITH in my mind.
SBD could be a good candidate for virtulization environment. But I think we
could need improve the reliability of SBD in Vmware ESX environment by
following method:
1. Using VM Guest App monitor replace software watchdog, since VM GuestApp
monitor is heartbeat between ESX and GuestOS, stopping mark or touch the
heartbeat would cause the ESX host reboot the VM. The mechanism is good to
emulate a "hardware watchdog" in virtualization environment.
2. SBD is suicide based, the quorum winner need wait sometime for sure the
target is dead. But how long we need wait? It's up to experience. I think if
STONITH initiator wait until the STONITH target clear the suicide request
after reboot, it's reliable enough to believe the system has been shoot.

Just my 2 cents.

Javen Wu