[Pacemaker] SNMP/SMTP alerts on move or STONITH?

Simpson, John R john_simpson at reyrey.com
Mon May 24 10:05:15 EDT 2010

Greetings all,

     First, my compliments to the Pacemaker and Corosync developers.  I've been trying out Pacemaker for the past few months, and (especially from the command line) I've found building and managing Pacemaker-based clusters more intuitive and flexible than RHCS.

     Is there any way to generate SNMP traps and/or email notifications when a resource is moved or a node is STONITH'd?

     Using the Pacemaker resource agent ClusterMon to run crm_mon I receive the start, stop, and monitor notifications I expect, but there are no specific notifications when a resource is moved or a node is killed.  I'd like to send up a giant red flag when one of these major events occurs, rather than having to derive it from start/stop/monitor alerts (i.e. all the resources usually hosted on node01 suddenly started and were monitored on node02 - node01 must have been stonith'd).  I'm using the external/ssh stonith agent for lab tests, if that is a factor.

     I'm using the following ClusterMon configuration and Pacemaker / Corosync / SNMP versions:

primitive Monitor-Cluster ocf:pacemaker:ClusterMon \
        params htmlfile="/var/www/html/rlb-cluster-monitor.html" \
        params pidfile="/var/run/rlb-cluster-monitor.pid" \
        params extra_options="--mail-host=outbound.msg.reyrey.net:25 --mail-from=john_simpson at reyrey.com --mail-to=john_simpson at reyrey.com --snmp-traps=10.205.1.18" \
        op start interval="0" timeout="90s" \
        op stop interval="0" timeout="100s"

pacemaker-libs-devel-1.0.8-3.el5
pacemaker-libs-1.0.8-3.el5
pacemaker-1.0.8-3.el5
corosynclib-1.2.0-1.el5
corosync-1.2.0-1.el5
corosynclib-devel-1.2.0-1.el5
net-snmp-libs-5.3.2.2-7.el5_4.2
net-snmp-5.3.2.2-7.el5_4.2

Best regards,

John

John Simpson
Senior Software Engineer, I. T. Engineering and Operations