[Pacemaker] DRBD Management Console 0.6.0

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Mon Mar 8 09:30:58 EST 2010

On 2010-03-02T13:12:25, Rasto Levrinc <rasto.levrinc at linbit.com> wrote:

> > cool stuff. It's sad that we end up with a competing thingy ... Maybe we
> > could keep Tim's pure web-ui for the monitoring and most simple bits and
> > have drbd-mc replace the python UI.
> Thanks lmb. I see a place for Hawk as a lightweight tool to quickly make
> some changes and I could even somehow integrate in the DRBD-MC.

"Integrate"? I'm not sure how that would work though, since they're
completely different code bases and programming languages, and also
different in deployment mode?

> > How does it interact with the CRM shell? Does it issue XML changes
> > directly? What kind of network connection is required between the UI client
> > and the servers?
> DRBD-MC connects itself via SSH and uses mostly cibadmin and crm_resource
> commands on the host. It could simply use crm shell commands instead, but
> it doesn't at the moment, mostly to be compatible with older Heartbeats
> and there was no reason to change it.

The main problem I see is the need for ssh login as root. This makes
drbd-mc inacceptable in some environments, such as US military
installations (or other places with weird rules like that). And, of
course, it can lead to firewall issues. If you have the chance, limiting
the number of open connections/ports needed to the server(s) is a
worthwhile goal for the future.

> > Do you plan to implement support for the utilization functionality?
> Yep, but it is not high priority at the moment.

Too bad, since it is extremely useful for Xen environments in
particular.

> > With the name you've chosen, you're sort of implying that you're mostly
> > focused on DRBD, whereas the actual code is much broader ... have you
> > considered calling it something more generic?
> I wanted to throw some Pacemaker pictures inside for some time, but I
> think the name should not change, since we are Linbit. :)

Well, linbit-mc I would have no problem with, but "drbd-mc" strikes me
as too limited ;-)

Best,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.