[Pacemaker] How to really deal with gateway restarts?

Maros Timko timkom at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:26:50 EDT 2010

> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:13:59 +0200
> From: Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net>
> To: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager
>        <pacemaker at oss.clusterlabs.org>
> Subject: Re: [Pacemaker] How to really deal with gateway restarts?
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Maros Timko <timkom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know it was requested here number of times, but with no real
>> conclusive answer. All of the requests were update Pacemaker and use
>> ping RA.
>>
>> Setup:
>> ?- simple symetric 2 node DRBD-Xen cluster
>> ?- both nodes connected to the same network and gateway
>> ?- cloned ping RA to monitor gateway and update pingd attribute
>> ?- pingd:defined used to migrate resources on node with better
>> communication abilities
>>
>> Scenario:
>> ?- simulate gateway failure or restart
>>
>> Expected outcome:
>> ?- active node should remain active without touching resources because
>> both nodes has the same score (pingd=0) and pingd:defined means "do
>> not shutdown resources when node looses connectivity"
>>
>> Experienced outcome:
>> ?- CRM initiates resource migration
>> ?- Xen VM is stopped
>> ?- CRM aborts resource migration
>> ?- Xen VM is started
>> ?- active node is active again, but VM was restarted
>>
>> Analyses of the problem:
>> ?- because currently active node is DC (but probably not only for this
>> reason) the update of pingd from active node is processed as the first
>> one. It is done before the update from standby is processed meaning
>> standby has better score. Thus CRM decides to migrate resources.
>> ?- attribute update from standby node is processed, meaning rolling
>> back of the migration
>>
>> Possible resolutions:
>> ?- tweak the standby ping RA to postpone updates a bit (a bit stupid
>> and asymetric)
>> ?- ensure that standby is DC (no CLI option and not sure if that would
>> help though)
>> ?- ensure that standby monitoring cycle is delayed after active one
>> (but how with cloned RA)
>> ?- any other proposal?
>>
>> I thought "dampen" attribute could help with some of the options, but
>> actually it is does not.
>
> It should do.  Hard to say without any logs from the two machines.

Unfort. I don't have log files here, can provide you if that would help.
Are you sure dampen should help here? From my testing it only does:
"Unless the next attribute value is stable for dampen interval, do not
change the attribute value in CIB". However, the pingd attribute is
set for two nodes, thus they are stored in separate XML section
meaning they are not correlated by dampen. I tried dampen 5s and 0s
without any effect.
My issue is that Pacemaker acts immediatelly after getting local
update request, nomatter what the remote is trying to say. Remote
update is processed only after migration decision is made and that is
a bit late.