[Pacemaker] how do I avoid infinite reboot cycles by fencing just the offline node?

Oliver Heinz oheinz at fbihome.de
Mon Jun 14 12:29:59 EDT 2010

Am Montag, 14. Juni 2010, um 16:43:54 schrieb Dejan Muhamedagic:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 02:26:57PM +0200, Oliver Heinz wrote:
> > I configured a sbd fencing device on the shared storage to prevent data
> > corruption. It works basically, but when I pull the network plugs on one
> > node to simulate a failure one of the nodes is fenced (not necessarily
> > the one that was unplugged). After the fenced node reboots it fences the
> > other node, this goes on and on...
>
> The networking is still down between the nodes? If so, then this
> is expected.
>
> > I configured pingd and location so that the resources on the shared
> > device are not started on the node that is without network connectivity,
> > but still this node fences the other node.
>
> Yes. With pingd you can influence the resource placement, but it
> can't fix split brain.
>
> > What I would like to achive is that in case of a network problem on a
> > node this node is fenced (and not some randomly chosen node) and that
> > after a reboot this node just sits there waiting for the network to come
> > up again (and not fencing other nodes). Once the network comes up, this
> > node could automatically join the cluster again.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> No. You need to make your network connectivity between the nodes
> redundant.

It will be, but I'm testing the worst case scenario. I once had split brain
because I plugged in a firewire device and the kernel oops made it to block any
i/o (network and even the dumb serial line I had for redundancy) for longer
than my configured dead time.

> Split brain is bad news. The cluster will try best to
> deal with it, but, as you could see, it won't always please the
> users.
>
> > Or do I have to disable  the cluster stack on bootup, to
> > sort things out manually before joining the cluster.
>
> I think that that's a good idea.

I really like the idea of having the other node sitting there waiting for
network recovery and integrating seamlessly once network is up.

I guess pacemaker fences the other node after it becomes DC, rigth? So what I
would probably want is some rules that prevent this node from becoming DC and
starting to do things. Something like "hmm, I can't reach my gateway I should
keep looking for a DC an not elect myself."

Meanwhile  I'll add some checks to the init-Script "if we can't reach the
gateway and the other node we'd better not start the cluster stack"

> Oh, and don't make sbd a clone, it doesn't like parallel
> operations to a device.

Thanks for clarification. After reading this
http://www.mail-archive.com/pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org/msg03851.html
I thought it wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks,
Oliver