[Pacemaker] 2-Node Reconciliation...?

Eric Cho echoecho at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:06:05 EDT 2010

Hey everyone

I've been attempting to find an answer to my question, but I've been coming
up with nothing. If this has been asked before, I apologize. I would
appreciate any guidance that you can provide.

I have a 2-node cluster running pacemaker 1.0.8/corosync 1.2.5 on SLES11. I
have 3 resources configured: IP, filesystem & oracle. The filesystem is
coming from a fibre SAN with an ext3 filesystem. Everything works
wonderfully and I've been very satisified with the setup.  Migrating
resources works correctly and turning off the corosync service starts the
service on the other node. However, my question involves the behavior of the
cluster when the active node goes down.

When I disconnect the network cable on the active system (AS), the AS does
not disable the configured resources that it is responsible for. The
secondary system (SS) sees that the active node is down, and starts to take
responsibility for the resources. Nothing is 'wrong' in that i don't get any
error messages, but i am a little concerned about this behavior, as i
effectively have 2 active systems (even though only 1 is technically
accessible).

My basic question is this: is this normal?
Secondary question: when both systems are 'active', both are mounting the
filesystem (an ext3 partition), but ext3 is not a cluster filesystem. Should
i change this and use something like ocfs?

I appreciate any information that you can provide. Thanks!

---
Grace and peace...

Eric Cho