[Pacemaker] postgresql monitoring- "incomplete startup packet"- getting filled in log

Joe Healy joehealy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:40:34 EST 2010

Hopefully not going too far of topic, the code (in perl) that is doing this
is:

# Check whether a postmaster server is running at the specified port.
sub cluster_port_running {
    die "port_running: invalid port $_[2]" if $_[2] !~ /\d+/;
    my $socketdir = get_cluster_socketdir $_[0], $_[1];
    my $socketpath = "$socketdir/.s.PGSQL.$_[2]";
    return 0 unless -S $socketpath;

    socket(SRV, PF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0) or die "socket: $!";
    my $running = connect(SRV, sockaddr_un($socketpath));
    close SRV;
    return $running ? 1 : 0;
}

I think it raises a couple of questions about using this init.d script for
pacemaker. The debian maintainers of postgresql have done a wonderful job of
pulling together a system for running multiple versions of postgresql
together on the one host. This means the init.d script may not do exactly
what you want in this case.

I don't know exactly, but you should check what the return code of
/etc/init.d/postgresql status is in various scenarios (including more than
one version installed at once). Possibly your maintenance procedures will
prevent this case occuring in production though.

It may also be the case that for proper pacemaker status checking, you want
a more thorough check of the db being up than just the socket being open.

Hope that helps.

Joe