[Pacemaker] Frustrating fun with Pacemaker / CentOS / Apache

Angie T. Muhammad angie.tawfik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:04:46 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Paul Graydon <paul at ehawaii.gov> wrote:

>  On 2/16/2010 10:48 AM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>
> The first error doesn't concern me particularly, it's a known Apache bug
>
> relating to the proxy module that doesn't actually break anything.  It's the
> binding errors that are bothering me and presumably what is stopping
> pacemaker from starting the service successfully.  Whats really odd about
> that error is I can run "/etc/init.d/httpd start" quite happily myself and
> it works.  There is absolutely nothing sitting listening on port 80 at all
> for it to struggle with.  Occasionally it seems to start it but I've no idea
> why it will succeed then when it fails in the large majority of the time.
>  Really wild stab in the dark, but is there a chance pacemaker is attempting
> to start the httpd process multiple times?
>

>  Unlikely, usually its caused by LSB services being told to start at boot time.
>

> That was one of the earliest thoughts I had, sorry I meant to put this in
> my first message:
>
> # chkconfig --list httpd
> httpd           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
>
>  I suffered from the same problem as you do. It is always highly
recommended to use OCF modules written specifically for your service rather
than LSB. Aside of your stack (openAIS or Heartbeat), errors will pop up
when stopping httpd if you are using LSB..

Example configuration:
# crm configure primitive WebServer ocf:heartbeat:apache params
configfile=/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf statusurl=
http://127.0.0.1/server-status op monitor interval=30s

For the above example to work correctly, FIRST you have to do some editing
in httpd.conf:

1- Make your listen directive tied to the localhost (for testing):
Listen 127.0.0.1:80

2- Enable viewing server status for localhost:
<Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Location>

3- Enable extended status:
ExtendedStatus On

Other than this, pacemaker will try to request a page from your server but
never finds it, so it considers the server not responding. It tries to kill
it, and you end up with some zombie processes.

One more thing, just to minimize the hassle, try testing with:
- the failover-IP and
- Apache Server
resources only enabled.. then later on enable other resources one by one and
test your configs.

Let me know if you encounter problems, I can send you my entire 2-node
configurations.

All the best,
Angie