[Pacemaker] Frustrating fun with Pacemaker / CentOS / Apache

Paul Graydon paul at ehawaii.gov
Tue Feb 16 14:47:22 EST 2010

I've been hitting my head against the same brick wall all day today and
its really beginning to get frustrating.

Overview:   two test servers straight forward CentOS-5.4 servers running
Apache, and pacemaker on top of OpenAIS.  I've used one of the
documented setups as the template, with a VIP set up for them to use,
and apache set up to be monitored.  When it tries to start the httpd
process through the CRM it hits this really odd error:

Feb 16 09:16:35 test1 lrmd: [19085]: info: RA output:
(failover-apache:start:stderr) [Tue Feb 16 09:16:35 2010] [warn] worker
http://ono.:8080/koko already used by another worker
Feb 16 09:16:35 test1 lrmd: [19085]: info: RA output:
(failover-apache:start:stderr) (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
could not bind to address [::]:80
Feb 16 09:16:35 test1 lrmd: [19085]: info: RA output:
(failover-apache:start:stderr) (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available,
shutting down Unable to open logs

The first error doesn't concern me particularly, it's a known Apache bug
relating to the proxy module that doesn't actually break anything.  It's
the binding errors that are bothering me and presumably what is stopping
pacemaker from starting the service successfully.  Whats really odd
about that error is I can run "/etc/init.d/httpd start" quite happily
myself and it works.  There is absolutely nothing sitting listening on
port 80 at all for it to struggle with.  Occasionally it seems to start
it but I've no idea why it will succeed then when it fails in the large
majority of the time.  Really wild stab in the dark, but is there a
chance pacemaker is attempting to start the httpd process multiple times?
After a while trying to restart the resource group starts throwing up:
"Error performing operation: Required data for this CIB API call not
found" with no obvious way to clear that message (nor documentation to
that effect that I can find?)

crm(live)configure# show
node test1 \
         attributes standby="off"
node test2 \
         attributes standby="off"
primitive failover-apache lsb:httpd \
         op monitor interval="15s" \
         meta target-role="Started"
primitive failover-ip ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr \
         params ip="10.0.0.10" \
         op monitor interval="5s" \
         meta target-role="Started"
group web-cluster failover-ip failover-apache \
         meta target-role="Started"
property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
         stonith-enabled="false" \
         no-quorum-policy="ignore" \
         dc-version="1.0.7-d3fa20fc76c7947d6de66db7e52526dc6bd7d782" \
         cluster-infrastructure="openais" \
         expected-quorum-votes="2"

The other thing I'm struggling to figure out from the documentation is
whether or not it's possible to choose what order the items get started
in?  Ideally I'd like to bind Apache to the VIP only, not every IP
address, however pacemaker isn't migrating the IP address until after it
tries to start apache.  IP address migration happens successfully every
single time, never a hassle there.

The documentation does seem to make a large number of assumptions about
what users do or don't know about pacemaker style clustering, and it's
been far from a simple process to implement what should be a
straightforward 2 node failover.  There is no obvious way to register on
the wiki so I can't even offer suggestions or thoughts on the discussion
page.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix the startup problem or
what might be causing it?

--
Paul Graydon
Senior Systems Administrator