[Pacemaker] mount of the same device from 2 nodes

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 20 06:24:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:32:07AM +0200, coolpix880 at web.de wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am running an active - active cluster (mutual takeover) on RedHat 5.
> - 2 Nodes, shared storage
> - heartbeat-3.0.0-33.2
> - pacemaker-1.0.5-4.1
> - stonith
> - 2 Oracle Databases for development and production, in failover state both runnung on one node.
>
> I configured a group for a "base", including ip and mountpoints
> and
> a group including Oracle Listener and database.
> I also configured, orders, preferred locations on this groups and all working fine (mostly).
>
> Twotimes I had a ugly situation in failover -state, because the
> node running the basegroup before, doesn't stop Oracle, doesn't
> unmount the Oracle filesystems and the second node mounts it
> anyway. It is for Oracle databases a disastrous situation,
> because the filesystems becomes partial distroyed and the
> databse is in a inconsistent state and needs a recovery of the
> whole datbase.  Maybe it is a Split Brain situation and stonith
> should switch of the other node, and I am sure the solution is
> a better configuration of the cluster.

stonith should protect resources from split brain. If you have
stonith configured, even if it fails to fence a node, the cluster
won't start resources. I wonder what has happened here. If you
still have logs, please make a hb_report. If it's too big, post
it somewhere of open a bugzilla.

> Anyway - I am searching with this question a "double bottom",
> means a second check, if the filesystems still mounted on the
> other node. I wrote a script for this, but where should I start
> it? Is there any "precheck" for a resource where I can start a
> custom script? A precheck for the resource "filesystem"?

You shouldn't really need this if the cluster is properly
configured with stonith. If your filesystems are in a VG, you can
also use clvmd.

Thanks,

Dejan