[Pacemaker] Human confirmation of dead node?

J Brack jbrack6 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:23:11 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm currently using heartbeat. I heard that I'm meant to be using
pacemaker. I will switch in a heartbeat (sorry) if I can get pacemaker
to do what I need.

I have a clustered nfs server, primary is in datacenter1 close to the
users, secondary is in datacenter2 not close to the users. There is
only an ethernet connection between the two data centers.

In the event of a failure of the primary in datacenter1 (or of
datacenter1 itself), I would like to switch to the secondary in
datacenter2. The catch? I want a human to confirm that the primary is
really dead.

My current heartbeat setup uses meatclient to confirm that a node has
been reset. This happens to do the same thing as confirming primary is
really dead for when primary's hardware dies - but for a network
outage I see the service bounce between the servers after the network
comes back up again. This is not ideal. I'm kind of hoping the
pacemaker can handle this more gracefully.

Can pacemaker be configured to allow manual (human) confirmation that
the primary node is dead before ever switching services? (i.e. requrie
human confirmation for all cases when it cannot talk to the other
node).

Thanks.