[Pacemaker] streamed writes fail with migration for NFS v3 over TCP

Karl Katzke kkatzke at tamu.edu
Tue May 19 22:04:52 EDT 2009

Bob -

No, I don't, but I'm very interested in your progress. I also have it (sometimes) working over NFSv4 but ... also sometimes not working. The other issue is that after a HA migration, we sometimes see the file handles on the client machines hit a 90 second timeout and go stale; restarting the NFS client on the machines will clear this problem and bring back the file handles. Have you hit that problem?

UDP is undesirable for us because we're on a large university network that sometimes drops packets, and I'm not aware of a way to checksum tranfers automatically to avoid corruption.

I'm a bit new to NFS (especially v4), so I'm sorry that I can't help any more than that... and to make matters worse, I've had to shelf testing on HAE this week due to some other urgent configurations and moves that need to happen.

Please keep me posted on your progress and let me know what configurations you've tried (besides UDP)...

Thanks,
-K

---
Karl Katzke
Systems Analyst II
TAMU - DRGS

>>> Bob Haxo <bhaxo at sgi.com> 05/19/09 5:16 PM >>>
Greetings,

I find that streamed writes fail with migration for NFS v3 over TCP.
Not every time, but almost every time.

Streamed writes continue nicely across many migrations for NFS v3 over
UDP.

With TCP, writes continue with migration back to the initial server.

Does anyone have HA NFS migrations working for NFS over TCP?

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Bob haxo
SGI