[Pacemaker] System Health backend part

Mark Hamzy hamzy at us.ibm.com
Fri May 29 19:26:54 EDT 2009

I would like to see a complete solution for system health shipped with
pacemaker.  Would you be opposed to including the backend parts that
monitor system health into pacemaker such as daemons or command line
programs?

One of the ways to determine the health of a system is to listen to IPMI
events.  I took source code from http://ipmitool.sourceforge.net/ and
modified it.  src/ipmievd.c is a daemon which listens to IPMI events and
writes out information about the event to syslog.  I modified ipmievd to
instead write the raw IPMI event information to a database.  The database
is part of the servicelog package
( http://linux-diag.sourceforge.net/servicelog/ ).  You can configure
servicelog to run a program when a database entry matches certain criteria.
This program then converts the IPMI event to a health color
(red/yellow/green) and execs attrd_updater (ex: attrd_updater -n
'#health-ipmi' -v 'yellow' ).

There are two files which I would like to be included.  Let's start with
the easiest first.

1) notifyServicelogEvent.c

This program is executed by servicelog when a database entry matches
certain criteria.  It is entirely self-contained.

2) src/ipmiservicelogd.c

This program was copied from src/ipmievd.c.  Instead of writing to syslog,
it writes to servicelog.  Unfortunately, ipmitools does not export its
header files or libraries as part of a public interface and seperate RPM
(like ipmitool-devel).  Could we copy over enough files to compile
ipmiservicelogd.c?

Mark

Common Information Model/Web-Based Enterprise Management at
http://www.openpegasus.org/
Take a look at the Linux Omni Printer Driver Framework at
http://omniprint.sourceforge.net/