[Pacemaker] stonith reboot behavior

Eliot Gable egable at broadvox.com
Fri Jun 19 16:40:10 EDT 2009

A "reboot" should never fail. That is, it should always guarantee that the system actually went down entirely. It does not need to guarantee that it comes back up automatically. If it gets stuck in the boot-up process, you can just manually intervene and fix that whenever it's possible and when it eventually comes back up, everything should be golden.

Now, if you for some reason cannot reach your remote reboot device to force the reboot, or if that device fails to reboot it, the node issuing the reboot should alert the rest of the cluster it could not reboot the device and one of the other nodes in the cluster should make the attempt. If everything fails and that node stays running, then you could indeed end up with very bad things happening. However, this should not be any kind of common occurrence, and if you hardware is broken so that things don't work and you don't replace the hardware, that's not something an HA system can account for.