[Pacemaker] how to determin crm version / features from within a RA

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Jun 10 10:26:31 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Lars
Ellenberg<lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> taking this to the pacemaker list...
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 02:53:24PM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> since 1.0.4, giving --version to almost any of the crm tools will give
>> you the current version number.
>> it also includes the supported stacks and (if built correctly) the Hg
>> changeset used.
>
> unfortunately all of them also print the full help text to stdout

They dont here...
Were the packages built with getopt-long?

> _and_ exit 0 for unrecognized options.

Ok, thats bad.  I'll get that fixed.  (I can see this part locally too)

> so I need to parse the output to see if I actually got the version,
> and which one.
>
> maybe I can go for the dc-version?
>
> but wait:
> cibadmin -Ql -o crm_config | grep cib-bootstrap-options-dc-version
>
> pacemaker:
> <nvpair id="cib-bootstrap-options-dc-version" name="dc-version" value="1.0.4-3917b11b3a14+ stable-1.0 tip"/>
> heartbeat 2.1.4:
> <nvpair id="cib-bootstrap-options-dc-version" name="dc-version" value="2.1.4-node: --node-hash--"/>
>
> darn.
> special case version compare:
>  1 > 2 for extremly legacy values of 2.

I think its going to be many years before we see a pacemaker version
starting with 2.
So thats a valid pacemaker/legacy check.

> so...
> what is the most easy way to reliably distinguish
> legacy heartbeat crm 2.0.7, 2.0.8, 2.1.3, 2.1.4
> pacemaker crm 0.6, 1.0, 1.x, 2.y (once it is there)
> regardless of cluster stack?
>
> or more specifically, I'd like to be able to see am I running on legacy
> heartbeat crm, or pacemaker crm, and then "require" a version.  I don't
> really care for what comm layer is in use.

crmadmin has always supported the --version option, so i think parsing
that is one option.
and if its not working correctly now, then I'll get it fixed for the
next version.

the other alternative is to set what value CRM_FEATURE_SET had at the
time of the various releases and look for the reskey meta feature set
thingy in the RA.
it changed reasonably often in the early days and was definitely bumped for 1.0