[Pacemaker] spilit brain situation

Andrew Beekhof beekhof at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 04:54:21 EST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Romi Verma wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Beekhof <beekhof at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Romi Verma wrote:
>
> > i want the partition without quorum to reset the nodes instead of
> killing .
> > is it possible.
>
> define the difference between reset node and kill node?
>
>  According to me  , killing a node means powering it off but
> reseting a node means rebooting it.
>
> This is controlled with the  stonith-action option
>

> but  dont you think in two nodes cluster if we get spilit brain
> situation both node will try to stonith each other.
>
> which is why two node clusters are good for demonstrations and thats
> about it.
> there are some limited uses for them, but in general you need 3
> nodes for a sane cluster
>
> so do you mean two nodes cluster are not good for production
> environment  because both will try to  stonith each other in spilit
> brain??

amongst other things.

even though one side wins the initial "race-to-stonith", if the looser
comes up again and the cause of the split-brain still exists... then
they'll just shoot the "winner" so it can start resources... then that
node comes up and shoots the other host so it can start resources...
etc etc

> one more question , why we need to configure stonith in two node
> cluster. we can always set no-quorum policy to "suicide"

which works by using stonith