[Pacemaker] New CTS mode: "real-world"

Andrew Beekhof beekhof at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 05:44:17 EST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about the fact that there's a bunch of scenarios
> CTS
> isn't good at simulating.
>
> Essentially, it will reboot nodes, or cause processes to crash, way
> too
> often for some problems to show.
>
> From the point of view of the cluster, that is actually not a typical
> work load: clusters are expected to stay up for long, and be largely
> stable.
>
> I think we might need an additional selection of tests (and perhaps
> one
> or two additional tests) which instead simulate what users would do:
> perform a lot of switch-overs, standby, cib operations, LRM cleanups,
> reprobes, status queries, and only extremely rarely - if at all -
> reboot
> a node.
>
> Of course it's still hard to simulate "long-running" as in "a long
> time", because, well, that happens to take a long time. ;-) But we can
> compress the rest into a shorter period. Thoughts? Comments?

I've added a --loop option to cts so that we can add (and selectively
enable) tests like this.
I've not had a chance to add any, but there is definitly a case for
them to be written.

Would you like to kick it off by adding your standby test?

Just make sure the test has:

     def is_applicable(self):
         return self.CM.Env["loop-tests"]