[Pacemaker] Please Help - frequent cleanup is required for the resources on failover condition

Abhin GS deucn at inmail.sk
Sun Aug 16 22:08:39 EDT 2009

Hello,

The node1 was chocked due to a big "messages" file. we have fixed that
problem in node1, then we ran a update for SLES11, every required
patches were installed properly (service openais stop - was done before
patching).  We have purposely switched off the node 2 during this
exercise to avoid any complications.

After the update, we have started the system back online (node2 was
still kept off) and saw that the machine was refusing to function.
analysis found that the systems update had changed the contents
of /etc/hosts during update, node1 entry was taken out for some reason
in node1 hosts file. Pacemaker showed all services to be down even after
that fix. Couple of reboots - no help. I have attached forensics report
(cib and messages) of node1 in node1.tar

Whilst , we have switched off node1 after our enthu levels went down and
made node2 online. We were happy to see the things work well in it (we
have adjusted the timings - no cleanup was required - though we tested
this fact for only one reboot) - except the message node1 is offline. we
copied this cib of node2 using cibadmin - Q, switched it off and
switched on the node1 for cib injection.

@ node 1 we have cleared the pacemaker config using cibadmin -E --force,
then we injected the cib(after increasing the epoch values) using
cibadmin -U -x cib.xml. service openais restart revealed the wonderful
fact that node1 is still behaving the same way. no green signal except
node1 DC.

Heart broken we did a forensic evidence collection, switched of node1
and made node2 online for further study on its remaining files. Volla -
node 2 came up showing all red. no services running. only green i could
see was node2 dc. Any way forensic was done. Files are attached herewith
for your kind perusal.

severely broken, there was no more energy left in us for this 5 week
effort to bring up a HA cluster which will run postgres, apache on a
virtual ip. decided to switch off the msa array - after switching off
node2 (we lost hope in node 1 earlier).

10 minutes later - MSA was pushed online then node2 - then node1. Node 2
became dc and all is green. I really did not understand what went wrong
when and where. I tried to look in the log - but was not able to
understand anything (lack of confidence after multiple failure ).

One observation, which could be right or wrong - node 1 will fail to
function properly if node 2 is not available and vice versa. Well node1
is now having the latest patches, but node2 is still virgin. we didn't
have the heart to run update on node2 after experiencing the node 1
affair.

Please throw some light in to our mystery HA project.

Thank you in advance.

Take care,

Abhin

Ukazte svoje fotky na www.zonerama.sk