[Pacemaker] Manging Virtual Machine's resource

Xinwei Hu hxinwei at gmail.com
Wed May 21 12:05:11 EDT 2008

2008/5/21 Andrew Beekhof <beekhof at gmail.com>:

> On May 21, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Xinwei Hu wrote:

>>> Why even set a dom0 name?
>>> Just have a clone that only runs on physical machines (use a node
>>> attribute)
>>> and have the STONITH plugin examine its own list of nodes it can fence
>>> (the
>>> vmware STONITH plugin does something like this).
>>>
>>> It makes no sense for VMs to run a STONITH resource (assuming they're
>>> part
>>> of the cluster - I'm not 100% sure what you're proposing), since the only
>>> method of communication to the STONITH device (dom0) is inherently
>>> unreliable (ie. ssh/telnet).
>>
>> I'm not talking about a mixed cluster of VM and physical servers. ;)
>
> Ok, i misinterpreted the bit about "a cluster of all dom0"
>

>> So yes, you still have to set dom0 name for STONITH.
>> Plus, I didn't managed to run pacemaker on VMware ESX server. :P
>
> Its technically possible - I do it all the time.
>

>>> Sidenote: Yes, I have been known to advocate using ssh-based STONITH
>>> plugins
>>> - but only in cases where there is no alternative.
>>> In this case there is a viable alternative, the dom0 hosts.
>>>
>>> Writing a STONITH plugin is not the hard part of having a mixed
>>> physical+VM
>>> cluster... it gets "interesting" when you start thinking about cases
>>> like:
>>> what happens when a cluster split happens and a minority of the physical
>>> nodes are able to shoot the larger set of physical nodes because they
>>> have
>>> enough VMs to steal quorum, or: Can VMs shoot physical machines?  How
>>> does
>>> it know not to shoot the one it's running on!
>>>
>> Yes, and that's why I switch back to the simplest solution :)
>
> In that case, I suggest writing something similar to the vmware stonith
> module... either one specific to Xen, or ideally one that use libvirt that
> can be used for all types of VMs.

>>> I don't understand how attribute inheritance could possibly hide the
>>> differences between operating systems.
>>>
>> I mean function inheritance and override.
>
> I've still no idea how this helps - and I don't believe this is what Lon was
> suggesting (though I may be mistaken)

Correct me if I miss understand anything ;)

a.
The resource/vm.sh from rgmanager mentioned by Lon is similar to
resource/Xen from heartbeat.
And agents/xvm from fence, is similar to stonith/external/xen0.

Both are available to pacemaker already.

b.
The "inherit" attribute in rgmanager, means the instance of RA
"inherit" parameters from its
parent resource. It's a little helpful cause some time we do have to
double check if the parameters
passed to different RA are the same.
But this is not what I was talking about ;)

c.
I'm looking for a solution to "inherit" RAs.
Take JeOS for example. We may have different RAs for all different
kind of JeOS, but all of them are
only slightly different in a few parameters and monitoring methods. We
also can have a huge RA to handle
them all, but that'll be very scary to maintain/evo (i.e Filesystem)

em. Sorry if I am off topic in this thread ? ;P