[Pacemaker] Manging Virtual Machine's resource

Andrew Beekhof beekhof at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:43:52 EDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Nitin wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 11:13 +0800, Xinwei Hu wrote:
>> We had a deployment of this kind running for more then a half year.
>> 2 lessons we had so far:
>>
>> 1. Start a "standalone" heartbeat inside VM is the best option so
>> far.
>>   i.e "ucast lo 127.0.0.1" in ha.cf
>>   It's the simplest way to have monitoring and restarting inside VM.
>
> Yes. we thought of that but want to use it as the last resort.
>
>> 2. Manage VMs as Xen resources in a cluster of all dom0.
>>   However,
>>   a. VMs might be migrated between dom0s anytime, so set dom0 as a
>> parameter to STONITH plugin is not ideal in practice. (The same
>> problem applies to VMware ESX server also.)

Why even set a dom0 name?
Just have a clone that only runs on physical machines (use a node
attribute) and have the STONITH plugin examine its own list of nodes
it can fence (the vmware STONITH plugin does something like this).

It makes no sense for VMs to run a STONITH resource (assuming they're
part of the cluster - I'm not 100% sure what you're proposing), since
the only method of communication to the STONITH device (dom0) is
inherently unreliable (ie. ssh/telnet).

Sidenote: Yes, I have been known to advocate using ssh-based STONITH
plugins - but only in cases where there is no alternative.
In this case there is a viable alternative, the dom0 hosts.

Writing a STONITH plugin is not the hard part of having a mixed
physical+VM cluster... it gets "interesting" when you start thinking
about cases like: what happens when a cluster split happens and a
minority of the physical nodes are able to shoot the larger set of
physical nodes because they have enough VMs to steal quorum, or: Can
VMs shoot physical machines?  How does it know not to shoot the one
it's running on!

>>   b. VM is a typical example that we'd better support "inheritance"
>> for RA. VM's RA can only tell whether it's running, but there're
>> different ways to tell if the OS (Linux, BSD, Windows, Netware)
>> inside
>> is health.

I don't understand how attribute inheritance could possibly hide the
differences between operating systems.