[Pacemaker] Manging Virtual Machine's resource

Nitin nitin at atc.tcs.com
Mon May 19 03:07:51 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 08:34 +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On May 19, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Nitin wrote:

> >> Why not just use the Xen agent if you don't want them to be cluster
> >> nodes?
> >> Or do you mean that you want them to both be resources and to run
> >> other resources too?
> >
> > Yes. Please advise me how to go about it.
> > Thanks a lot for reply.
>
> We don't have a clean way to do that yet
>
> Possible options:
> a) start the services at VM boot (you don't get monitoring)
> b) start the services at VM boot and modify the Xen agent to monitor
> the services inside the VM (ugly)
> c) add a proxy resource to start/stop/monitor the services inside the
> VM (complex)
Did you mean writing a OCF RA which will take care of start/stop/monitor inside VMs ??
Can we configure how CRM will handle resource failures in this case??
For example if res1 at VM1 fails
	     retry on same VM
		success --> OK
		failure --> start res1 (with group dependencies/collocation preferences) at VM2 on same node
			(success -- OK)
			failure --> start res1 as direct resource to node

			finally use Passive node's VM

> d) implement a generic version of c)
I guess it would be required otherwise we have to write a proxy resource
(c) for each resource type. Right??