[Pacemaker] Manging Virtual Machine's resource

Nitin nitin at atc.tcs.com
Mon May 19 02:38:05 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 09:28 -0400, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I would like to make my virtual machines (DomUs) resources to
> > participate in the HA cluster. Dom0 (Physical Host) may or may not have
> > resources.
> >
> > To do this I would like to treat DomUs as *resource* in the cluster as
> > opposed to treating them as *nodes*. I am planning to write OCF resource
> > agents for virtual machines. But I am not very sure about how to make a
> > resource's resource to participate in the cluster.
>
> >From a different project, I have a simplistic resource agent for this if
> Pacemaker doesn't yet; you can use it as a starting point:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/git/?p=cluster.git;a=history;f=rgmanager/src/resources/vm.sh;h=f192e2d652674e6f023d560c8c33ca308ee85394;hb=STABLE2
>
> Because rgmanager and pacemaker diverged slightly on the OCF RA API
> metadata bits, there might be some small tweaks required.
>

> I also have a domU -> dom0 fencing bridge via libvirt, but I *haven't*
> written a STONITH module for it (just linux-cluster style fencing agent;
> maybe we could use the external plugin in the short term?).  This agent
> is unrelated to the resource-agent above, but certainly can be used in
> conjunction with it.
>
> For the fencing agent to work with domUs (that are moving around), dom0s
> need to be in a CMAN+openais cluster right now, but we could drop this
> and make this an openais-only requirement if you'd like (it shouldn't be
> hard, but we'd lose physical node fencing information in the
> short-term).
>
> Here's the design:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/git/?p=cluster.git;a=blob;f=fence/agents/xvm/README;h=401666d9ce329a566561207cf7049b5744cc4c57;hb=STABLE2
>
> Note that the design (or more specifically, use of libvirt)
> theoretically allows the fencing/STONITH agent to be automatically
> extended to support KVM, UML, or any other virtual machine class for
> which libvirt has a plugin. ;)  Everything works in theory, though
> (probably tweaks required to make it work with non-Xen virtual machines;
> heck, tweaks were required to make it work with full-virt Xen...)
>

> Here's the agent and the server side (again, no STONITH module, but it
> shouldn't be hard):
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/git/?p=cluster.git;a=tree;f=fence/agents/xvm;h=cfa4dd8ce90b9bd0e748a582decfb96b44458680;hb=STABLE2
>

> > Is there any configuration in existing structure to achieve this?? If
> > no
> > then please tell me how to go about creating a "container" resource in
> > CRM.
>
> So, because the above are not fully in-tune with pacemaker yet, there's
> no good examples.  I'll work with you to get either or both of the above
> working on pacemaker (obviously, if there's already an agent written for
> pacemaker, there's no need to do much on the vm agent).

> If you'd like to work with me on it, I'm sure we can get one or both of
> the above working on pacemaker, but it'll take a few days.

I am unable to access links provided by you. Got "Read timeout" error.
Will try to open it again. :(

Yes. I am ready to work on this with you.Thanks!! I do not have in-depth
knowledge of the system therefore I may ask stupid questions :).

Where can I find design doc/diagram of pacemaker in more detail?? Docs
available at http://clusterlabs.org/mw/Documentation are configuration
docs.
What part of code has to be changed. ("pengine" I guess from my little
knowledge). And where to start?

--nitin