[Pacemaker] RFC: How do you upgrade?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Wed May 7 07:11:11 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-06T15:02:47, Andrew Beekhof <abeekhof at suse.de> wrote:

> Me again,
>
> I'd like to get a sense of how people upgrade their clusters...
>
> * rolling upgrade (node-by-node)
> * big-bang (all nodes at once with all resources stopped)

The first two is most of what I see in the field and done by customers.
They tend to pack it into maintenance windows along with other updates,
kernel changes etc, which basically requires reboots anyway.

Larger customers tend to also check out the changes on their test
clusters first before committing to production.

> * detach and reattach (all nodes at once with resources still running)

I think we might see more and more of this turning into rolling
upgrades, as the services become encapsulated into VMs and shifted away
from the upgrading node w/o downtime.

(That, of course, leaves the question of how to update within the VMs
;-)

Seriously, I'd like to see this better supported and easier to use, but
because of the reasons above - maintenance window - I see it done
rarely.

Regards,
    Lars