[Pacemaker] Using pacemaker for service startup / single node cluster ?

Robert Heinzmann (ml) reg at elconas.de
Mon Aug 18 15:46:16 EDT 2008

I was thinking about this statement for some time. And I'm thinking why
is this not supported ?

Ok I thought, try it. So I set up a demo with a 2 node HB2 cluster and a
quorumd server. I played around with this configuration some time. I
setup Heartbeat with

   export HA_quorum=majority:quorumd

With this configuration every single node failure including a single
split site is covered. If it is possible to spread the three servers in
three data center a data center failure could be handled by heartbeat.
Of course there are other issues I see with DR like:

- How to do IP failover in Wan ? (-> e.g. Dynamic DNS)
- Latency in Wan (Does Heartbeat have a problem with 1 second delay in
network communication ?)
- Recalculation of quorum without node joining (so a manual
/etc/init.d/heartbeat restrat is needed)

... but I see no real killer issue why DR setup (actually split site
with quorum server)  is not suppored ?

.. Or do you mean 2 node Datacenter 1 Cluster covered by third node in
WAN data center ?

I'd really appreshiate your comments :)
Robert