[Pacemaker] Using pacemaker for service startup / single node cluster ?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Thu Aug 14 18:56:42 EDT 2008

On 2008-08-15T00:45:14, "Robert Heinzmann (ml)" <reg at elconas.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> actually this seems like a dumb question but I will ask it anyhow. Theres a
> separation between Heartbeat and Pacemaker on the code level now. Heartbeat
> does "multinode things" and Pacemaker does "service things". So from my
> understanding it would be great to use Pacemaker as init replacement or for
> the controlled start and monitoring of services on a single server system.

This would be possible with a "null" comm plugin (instead of talking to
heartbeat or openAIS).

> Now to the question: Is is possible with the current Pacemaker design to
> use Pacemaker as Init replacement or "clever" service control deaemon ? Is
> is on the Roadmap or fully out of the scope of the project ?

Not yet. it would be simple to add though, see above. A "dummy" module
like that would be good for testing, and single node clusters as you
note.

> Is it possible to enable Pacemaker to fully Manually control it - aka no
> automatic actions, every transition confirmed by the administrator ?

That's an interesting request. No, this is not currently possible. Can
you elaborate the use case a bit further?

Regards,
    Lars